If anyone had told me a year ago that I would get excited and passionate about a thermostat I would have thought they were nuts. But, as it turns out, I am nuts — about the Nest learning thermostat.
Dan and I purchased our first Nest in February soon after the product launched. I was immediately impressed with it, and today installed a second one to control our upstairs heating and cooling system. It was very satisfying to upgrade from the device installed by the contractor.
Not only is the Nest very cool looking (it was developed by people that worked on the original iPhone at Apple), it is also really clever and incredibly smart. Here are some of the things I like about the Nest product and company:
1. It is very easy to install…
and comes with a screwdriver and built-in green spirit level.
2. There is no need to program the thermostat. During the first week after installation one simply dials the temperature up or down. As one does so, the Nest learns setting preferences and develops a schedule based on them — and continues to learn and tweak every time the thermostat is adjusted.
3. The Nest significantly reduces heating and cooling costs. One of the main ways it does this is by sensing when someone is home…
and automatically adjusting to an energy saving setting when it senses that no one is home.
4. The Nest is Wi-Fi enabled which means you can control it from your phone or iPad with the Nest phone app — even when you are away from home. It’s very fun and satisfying to adjust the home heating/cooling system from the car.
5. I have found the Nest telephone customer service and support to be excellent.
Dan and I love a well designed product, and the people at Nest have scored a home run with this one. We think anyone concerned about heating and cooling costs should get one — and feel good about reducing use of our planet’s precious resources.
live. enjoy. repeat.